PDA

Επιστροφή στο Forum : Problem connecting to OTENET ADSL

matrix1329
18-10-09, 22:30
Hi,

Yesterday I got my OTENET ADSL username/password, and I am trying to set up my Modem to automatically connect to the internet. Unfortunately, it does not work with the settings I made, so maybe somebody can tell me what I did wrong? I have a T-Com (german telecom) Sinus 154 DSL modem which worked fine back in Munich, and I bought a "ADSL splitter over PSTN" from the OTE shop. So I connected everything, and started to do the modem configuration. There are basically two options which apply in my modem software:

1) PPPoE

This needs a Username (I tried the OTE username with and without the "@otenet.gr" - which one is correct), the password, a "provider name" if provided by the company (not on the documentation I got), a fixed IP if provided (dont have this), a primary and a secondary DNS server (I used 195.170.0.1 and 195.170.2.2 which I googled from this forum's archive site). With these settings the modem does not even succeed in connecting to the DSL (meaning the "DSL" LED does not light up), nor does it tell me that I am online (there is a "online" LED which also does not light up). I remember that these were the settings I used back in Munich with my provider there, and things worked. Is there a trick with the OTENET connection I dont know about? Or do they have some proprietary uplink software I need to use with their modems? For now, I refused to buy a modem from them, since I got one at home - the guy in the shop was not happy.

2) I can also do a "dynamical connection" in my modem, but for this I need:

A hostname
A Mac-Adress

For DNS there is a choice between "automatic" or primary/secondary DNS. Does anybody know whether I can use this option?

Best, Rene.

NiKapa
18-10-09, 22:36
<<(I tried the OTE username with and without the "@otenet.gr" - which one is correct)>>

username@otenet.gr ,thats correct;)

emeliss
18-10-09, 22:39
Wait until Monday. Perhaps the connection isn't ready yet. You will also receive a new router.

matrix1329
18-10-09, 22:47
<<(I tried the OTE username with and without the "@otenet.gr" - which one is correct)>>
username@otenet.gr ,thats correct;)

Thanks! This can, however, not be the source of the problem, since I tried both possibilities already.

Best, Rene.

turbo3hp
18-10-09, 22:47
Let's start with the DSL LED. I suspect your modem follows the Annex B specification. Since you have a PSTN phone line, you are currently on an Annex A port. As far as I know, you can't ask for an Annex B port if you have a PSTN line here, in Greece.

If you can borrow an Annex A modem from a neighbour or a friend, you can test your dsl connection.

matrix1329
18-10-09, 22:48
Wait until Monday. Perhaps the connection isn't ready yet. You will also receive a new router.

With new router you mean a modem? Is it for free or do I have to pay additionally? Unfortunately the OTE people dont tell you the conditions etc when you make the deal. The guy just told me 63 EURs per 2 months, the sounded fine, so I gave him my data...

Simpleton
18-10-09, 22:48
The "DSL" LED should light up as soon as your modem is connected, regardless of any settings you have made.

You do not require any proprietary software. Any PPPoA or PPPoE capable modem/router, such as the one you have, can be used.

enwsitis21
18-10-09, 22:58
Verify that your router uses the correct VPI and VCI parameters.
You should set up these settings to: VPI=8, VCI=35.

ubuntubu
18-10-09, 23:10
Verify that your router uses the correct VPI and VCI parameters.
You should set up these settings to: VPI=8, VCI=35.
:oneup:
1/32 for DT

http://damien.bergamini.free.fr/ueagle/vpivci.html

ariadgr
19-10-09, 00:45
Let's start with the DSL LED. I suspect your modem follows the Annex B specification. Since you have a PSTN phone line, you are currently on an Annex A port. As far as I know, you can't ask for an Annex B port if you have a PSTN line here, in Greece.

If you can borrow an Annex A modem from a neighbour or a friend, you can test your dsl connection.

Exactly.
Check whether the modem/router you currently have from Germany is Annex B (for ISDN lines).

matrix1329
19-10-09, 09:02

Hello everybody,

Thanks for the helpful comments. It seems that the german modems are all Annex B, and so I should get an additional Annex A modem here! Hope that will end my problems.

Best, Rene.

emeliss
19-10-09, 09:39
Rene, i think you will find the oteshop site useful.

http://oteshop.ote.gr/storefront/-/conn-x/connx-super-offer/prodconnx_super_offer.html

ariadgr
19-10-09, 11:50
... and so I should get an additional Annex A modem here! Hope that will end my problems.

If you ordered Conn-x, OTE will send you one free of charge.
Confirm this by calling 134 before buying one.

matrix1329
19-10-09, 14:55
If you ordered Conn-x, OTE will send you one free of charge.
Confirm this by calling 134 before buying one.

OK, I called them, and they said I can take it from the shop tomorrow. How can I find out whether I got Conn-x? The only thing I know by now is that I bought a package which costs 63 EUR/months, and includes internet (2Mbps) and a landline. Is there any other option with OTE which has the same specifications?

Rene.

ariadgr
19-10-09, 14:58
OK, I called them, and they said I can take it from the shop tomorrow. How can I find out whether I got Conn-x? The only thing I know by now is that I bought a package which costs 63 EUR/months, and includes internet (2Mbps) and a landline. Is there any other option with OTE which has the same specifications?

Rene.

You got conn-x.

Landline telephony is €15 / month
Internet 2Mbps (conn-x) is €16,50 / month
Total: €31,50 / month -> €63 / 2 months

Where did you order the landline & internet from in the first place? By calling 134, or from the OTE shop?
Because when you buy it from the OTE shop, you get the modem at the same time.
Note that the wireless router is provided free of charge.
Anyway, go to your local OTE shop and ask if they can give you a Thomson Speedtouch 585v7.

matrix1329
20-10-09, 21:40
Hello everybody,

Thanks again for the nice help! I got a modem (a Sagem Fast 2404/2444), and I have internet access right now.

Now I wanted to secure my wireless by setting up a Mac filter, but there seems to be a problem with that: No matter what Mac adress and how (with/without hyphens) I input it, it always tells me "invalid mac adress". I am using the browser configuration tool of the modem. Does anybody know whats the problem here? Does the Sagem not support the mac filtering?

Best, Rene.

Piparas
20-10-09, 21:48
I think it would be better if you secured your wireless network with WPA2 certification protocol. You can find instructions in the router manual. I think/hope that there is also an english guide incuded in the cd, otherwise you can use this (http://www.otenet.gr/hd/HTML/adsl/documents/SAGEM_2400En.pdf) link!

euri
20-10-09, 21:50
Rene,

Have you tried using colons ( : ) ? e.g 00:11:22:33:44

matrix1329
20-10-09, 21:59
I think it would be better if you secured your wireless network with WPA2 certification protocol. You can find instructions in the router manual. I think/hope that there is also an english guide incuded in the cd, otherwise you can use this (http://www.otenet.gr/hd/HTML/adsl/documents/SAGEM_2400En.pdf) link!

Hi, I am already doing WPA2, but I want to additionally secure my wireless by excluding all mac adresses except of our computer's. Any idea why this is not working?

Best, Rene.

DSLaManiaC
20-10-09, 22:10
Instead of hyphens ( - ) use colon ( : )

matrix1329
20-10-09, 22:15
Rene,

Have you tried using colons ( : ) ? e.g 00:11:22:33:44

Thanks! That was it.

Best, Rene.

@ ADSLgr.com All rights reserved.