PDA

Επιστροφή στο Forum : Foreigner needs some help

The Man
10-03-10, 01:01
Hello guys, I'm a student currently living in Panorama, Thessaloniki. Sorry for writing in English, but I've just started learning Greek.
I have had the package Conn-X from OTE for a few months. When I ordered I wanted 24mbps, but the employees told me that it was not available, I had to take 8mbps.
Now I took a look at the router statistics, here they are:
http://i.imgur.com/U5M4W.png

I browsed this forum and I found this site (http://www.adslgr.com/features/map/dslams.php?id=92) where I checked where is the closest DSLAM to my apartment in Panorama and I found out that there is a DSLAM right in Panorama. :hmm: Why do I have such high attenuation (25db)? Is there a possibility that OTE has connected me to another DSLAM, and not this one in Panorama?

arislol
10-03-10, 01:38
Hello!!

Yes it is possible but not sure that will lock in 24Mbps... It will probably lock at 12-13Mbps... Your Line attenuation is perfect.. Υοu get more upload, but download i don't know... So try at 24mbps and if you are not satisfied with 24Mbps get back to 8Mbps.... You have low margin.. 10.7db is not very good..

kover
10-03-10, 10:09
I think on a 25db line you can get a lot more than 8mbs. Trying the 24mbs for maybe a day wont cost you anything so go ahead and do it.

baskon
10-03-10, 10:15
Attenuation is ok..
sn margin (noise) is not ok for that attenuation-download speed combo.
With the current state of your line if you go for 24 mbps you will not get more than 9 mbps..
First you have to check if everything from your side is ok..Filters in every phone.Try to connect the router in another telephone socket and see the results in your router.If possible check the cabling in your house.

Even if Ote is routing you to another dslam than that of Panorama you cant do anything for it..
Besides your attenuation is ok.Not great,but not bad either..
Your problem is the noise in your line.

The Man
10-03-10, 10:28
Attenuation is ok..
sn margin (noise) is not ok for that attenuation-download speed combo.
With the current state of your line if you go for 24 mbps you will not get more than 9 mbps..
First you have to check if everything from your side is ok..Filters in every phone.Try to connect the router in another telephone socket and see the results in your router.If possible check the cabling in your house.

Even if Ote is routing you to another dslam than that of Panorama you cant do anything for it..
Besides your attenuation is ok.Not great,but not bad either..
Your problem is the noise in your line.

I agree. The SNR margin should be higher, and it isn't. I could get ~10mbps with the upgrade, which is not really good. This indicates there is a noise problem somewhere, hopefully it's on my end, so I can fix it. Where can I buy good quality filters?

maik
10-03-10, 19:51
Panorama is a very large area. There in only one DSLAM located on Michailidoy str.
There are many places over 2 even 3,5 km far away from the DSLAM.

The Man
11-03-10, 01:07
I assume I'm connected to the DSLAM in Panorama, because of the attenuation. It would be much higher if I was connected to another DSLAM. By my calculations, I'm 1800 meters away.

Now I did one test... I unplugged the splitter (filter) and the router was directly connected to the main telephone line. The SNR margin was 14.7. And with the splitter connected, the SNR margin is 14.6. So I guess the splitter is doing it's job, it is not faulty. Do you recommend doing some other tests, and if yes, which ones?

SNR Margin
14.6 26.6 db

Line Attenuation
24.8 15.9 db

Data Rate
8192 381 kbps

I am going to change to the 24mbps package, I think I should get ~14mbps dl/1mbps ul. Which is the easiest way to do that? The employees at OTE don't speak English very good, if I can do the change online, that'd be really nice. Can someone instruct me if it can be done online?

Piparas
11-03-10, 02:43
I assume I'm connected to the DSLAM in Panorama, because of the attenuation. It would be much higher if I was connected to another DSLAM. By my calculations, I'm 1800 meters away.

Now I did one test... I unplugged the splitter (filter) and the router was directly connected to the main telephone line. The SNR margin was 14.7. And with the splitter connected, the SNR margin is 14.6. So I guess the splitter is doing it's job, it is not faulty. Do you recommend doing some other tests, and if yes, which ones?

SNR Margin
14.6 26.6 db

Line Attenuation
24.8 15.9 db

Data Rate
8192 381 kbps

I am going to change to the 24mbps package, I think I should get ~14mbps dl/1mbps ul. Which is the easiest way to do that? The employees at OTE don't speak English very good, if I can do the change online, that'd be really nice. Can someone instruct me if it can be done online?

You can also order the upgrade online from the conn-x site but they will still contact you for confirmation, so the best way is to call 134 directly and try to make them understand, although I think they should speak English fluently.. :p

The Man
12-03-10, 20:45
You can also order the upgrade online from the conn-x site but they will still contact you for confirmation, so the best way is to call 134 directly and try to make them understand, although I think they should speak English fluently.. :p

I'll contact them tomorrow, thank you for the helpful information.

euri
12-03-10, 21:24

There is no other DSLAM near Panorama, only the one that maik pointed earlier.

I live in Panorama as well, my landline has ~25dB downstream attenuation and the modem connects at about 11500 - 12500 kbps. It should be somewhat higher than that, but it seems there is a lot of crosstalk, or other kind of interference, so I am pretty happy with that.

So I suppose your line would benefit a little (or even more) if it was upgraded to 24000 kbps.

The Man
13-03-10, 14:40
I saw this press release from OTE today: http://www.ote.gr/portal/page/portal/OTEGR/MediaOffice/PressReleasesAnnouncements/2010_press_releases_announcements_basket/120310_deltiotypouOTE_Anavathmisiteaxytites

I guess there is no need for me to call 134 anymore. Thank you for the help everybody, you've been great. :)

@ ADSLgr.com All rights reserved.