PDA

Επιστροφή στο Forum : Long Distance Problems!

nikos74
04-10-10, 20:42
Hello. I live in tinos and my connection is about 5.7 km from the dslam. This causes my router to go OUT OF SYNC due to high attentuation(about 60db)and low snr(6db uploading during the day and 8db downloading during the day, 8db uploading during night hours and 10db downloading).

I called ote technichan several times and each suggested I remove isdn for a pstn line. They said it caused a bottleneck at my premise so I removed isdn and now have simple pstn line.

I was given an OnDsl package by ote several years ago and the problems vary according to how busy the telephone lines are and weather conditions. When windy or humid performance degrades. I used to get 1mbs downloading but since ote upgraded their telephone lines I was given 2mbs free of extra charge. UNFORTUNATELY my modem cannnot sync at greater than 1mbs and even that is dicey.

While browsing the internet by dial-up:worthy: I discovered charts that highlight maximum speeds at various distances. It does not help to have a 2mbs connection IF THE ROUTER CANNOT SYNC! I told the technician several times to lower my speed to 512kb/s-768kb/s BUT he instists we can only change noise profiles(I guess he meant snr but I am not sure!) I also called ote hotline and asked to lower the speed but they say "ok I make notice" BUT NOTHING HAPPENS and this already 4 weeks now.....

Please take a look at this chart:
http://members.speedguide.net/trogers/04_adsl2_2.gif

Maybe someone can help because I don't want to give up my adsl connection. I would rather have 256kb if necessary rather than slow and expensive dial-up. Also what modem/roouters are good for long distance connections? Any help is welcome!

silegav
06-10-10, 00:39
Provided that you have already tried that much to fix this and did not find your way through these OTE guys, why don't you examine the possibility to leave OTE for one of the other ISPs? They will be cheaper for sure and it may be possible to have better quality of service.

SfH
06-10-10, 01:00
What kind of router do you have ? If it supports DMT or OrbMT, you might be able to increase the target SNR from your side. As for routers, Speedtouch 58x/78x and Netgear DGN2000 are supposed to be about as stable as it gets when paired with a dslam that also uses broadcom chipsets. A good chunk of ote's do, but you can probably check that from your current router ( look for "vendor id: remote end" or anything like that ).

valen_gr
06-10-10, 20:13
the best combo for extreme range adsl is ADSL2 over PSTN line.
It yields the best performance in great distances.
Is your line currently on G.DMT modulation?
Can you sync if you change it from the router to ADSL2?
If you could also get an OTE tech to lower your sync profile to 1M or even lower if such profiles exist on your DSLAM you should be ok...

@ ADSLgr.com All rights reserved.