ISP
    ΟΤΕ
    DSLAM
    ΟΤΕ - ΣΑΛΑΜΙΝΑ
    SNR / Attn
    16,7(dB) / 7.0(dB)
    Path Level
    Interleaved
    hello my name is chris and recently i moved my router downstairs and now i cant move it up again for some reasons and i want to play games and i dont want wifi-powerlines can i buy this router the edgerouter x and have it upstairs and draw from downstairs a 20-30m stp cat5 or 6 cable and put it up at my room and then connect my pc wired from the edgerouter x my router downstairs is the tp link td-w9977 and i also have the asus dsl-ac52u if the tp link doesnt work with the edgerouter x and if it works what steps i need to do from the downstairs router to the upstairs with details pls thx

Downloads
    Uploads
    Τύπος
    VDSL2
    Ταχύτητα
    47500/5500
    ISP
    ΟΤΕ Conn-x
    Router
    Speedport Entry 2i
    SNR / Attn
    9,3(dB) / 10,5(dB)
    Path Level
    Interleaved
    What you want is a switch, the edgerouter x can act as one , but it needs to configured by someone who has at least a basic knowledge of networking principles,as a plus this little device can act as a powerfull traffic shaper thanks to fq_codel algorithm. For that to work though u need to place it before the tp-link, make sure before you buy it to familirize yourself with ubiquiti's router os. U can get support for the edgerouter from their community forums to help you install it.

Edit: i just saw that the tp link is also a modem, so as a result u can't put it after the edgerouter

Downloads
    Uploads
    Τύπος
    VDSL2
    Ταχύτητα
    99947 / 9997
    ISP
    ΟΤΕ
    DSLAM
    ΟΤΕ - ΣΑΛΑΜΙΝΑ
    SNR / Attn
    16,7(dB) / 7.0(dB)
    Path Level
    Interleaved
    But i want it after no before the tp link router i will connect the edgerouter x after at the second floor i already have the tp link at the first floor where the central telephone line is and i will take a stp 30 m cable from the tp link router to the second floor and then i will connect it at the edgerouter x and then i will login to the router and what i will choose at the basic setup dhcp or static ip or pppoe or something else i have seen a lot of videos at YouTube and i have a lot of knowledge of network skills

Downloads
    Uploads
    Τύπος
    VDSL2
    Ταχύτητα
    47500/5500
    ISP
    ΟΤΕ Conn-x
    Router
    Speedport Entry 2i
    SNR / Attn
    9,3(dB) / 10,5(dB)
    Path Level
    Interleaved
    Then the only thing u need is to make sure that edgerouter is configured as a switch .

Downloads
    Uploads
    Τύπος
    VDSL2
    Ταχύτητα
    99947 / 9997
    ISP
    ΟΤΕ
    DSLAM
    ΟΤΕ - ΣΑΛΑΜΙΝΑ
    SNR / Attn
    16,7(dB) / 7.0(dB)
    Path Level
    Interleaved
    so dhcp , statip ip,pppoe what do i press there ?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Τύπος
    FTTH
    Ταχύτητα
    1000/100
    ISP
    Cosmote
    DSLAM
    ΟΤΕ - ΔΑΦΝΗ
    Hello, what are your trying to achieve with this device?

If you already have a router (like the TD-W9977 you already have downstairs) and just want to have internet in your room, then just get an unmanaged switch (the cheap ones).
    You say that you do have an Asus DSL-AC52U laying around? You can use that as a switch (and even as an access point if you'd like) just by altering the LAN IP address of the Asus to something that doesn't conflict with the TP-Link downstairs and disabling the DHCP server on the Asus.

Example.
    If you have the TP-Link as your main router downstairs and the Asus is laying around doing nothing, then setup the Asus like this.
    LAN IP Address: 192.168.1.2 (The TP-Link i'm guessing is 192.168.1.1 unless you've changed it)
    DHCP Server: Disable

By disabling the DHCP server on the Asus and having the DHCP server on the TP-Link enabled, then the TP-Link continues to work like it already does and the Asus acts like a dumb switch (+ an access point if you enable the wifi on the Asus).

Now, if you already have an edgerouter x and you still want to set it up as a switch, then login into the device, go to the wizards tab and run the "Switch" wizard.
    Leave everything at default.
    Use DHCP if you want the device to get an IP address from the TP-Link downstairs.
    If you want to fiddle with the device in the future, you might want to set the "Management IP" to Static (rather than DHCP) but i'll leave it up to you.
    If you don't know, just leave it at DHCP, press Apply and wait for it to reboot.

All the 5 ports should act as a switch.

Personally i would update the device's firmware and bootloader to their latest versions.
    Firmware: https://www.ubnt.com/download/edgemax/edgerouter-x
    Bootloader: https://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeMA...e/ba-p/1472216

If you're unsure about the bootloader version, just run it. It doesn't hurt to overwrite it if the device already has the latest version installed from the factory.
    Here are the instructions if you want to verify the bootloader version.
    https://community.ubnt.com/t5/EdgeMA...t/true#M185263

Downloads
    Uploads
    Τύπος
    VDSL2
    Ταχύτητα
    99947 / 9997
    ISP
    ΟΤΕ
    DSLAM
    ΟΤΕ - ΣΑΛΑΜΙΝΑ
    SNR / Attn
    16,7(dB) / 7.0(dB)
    Path Level
    Interleaved
    because i have 2 telephone lines can i do the thing with the 2 routers i mean the tp link downstairs and upstairs the asus router and instead of buying a 30 m stp cable can i plug it at the telephone line upstairs and do the asus switch ?

Downloads
    Uploads
    Τύπος
    FTTH
    Ταχύτητα
    1000/100
    ISP
    Cosmote
    DSLAM
    ΟΤΕ - ΔΑΦΝΗ
    If you do have 2 telephone numbers then i'm guessing both of the telephone numbers provide you with internet access? If so, why not leave the line downstairs (TP-Link) on its own and use the 2nd telephone number that has internet access to provide internet upstairs (using the Asus)?

If you actually have 2 telephone numbers coming in your house, then probably these two lines terminate somewhere in a wall outlet, correct?
    If yes, then you need to wire (extend) the second line from downstairs to somewhere upstairs and terminate it to an RJ11 outlet so you can plug there the Asus and be completely isolated from the 1st line (the TP-Link)

Am i correct about the 2 telephone lines?
    If you plug a phone at the outlet where the TP-Link is and plug another phone where your second line is, does the number differ when you call from the phone you just plugged in to your mobile phone?

A sketch/diagram of your current setup and some info of what you're trying to achieve would be very helpful but first, find if you actually have two telephone numbers or by "2 telephone lines" you mean 2 wall outlets that wire up from downstairs to upstairs in the same building.

Downloads
    Uploads
    Τύπος
    VDSL2
    Ταχύτητα
    99947 / 9997
    ISP
    ΟΤΕ
    DSLAM
    ΟΤΕ - ΣΑΛΑΜΙΝΑ
    SNR / Attn
    16,7(dB) / 7.0(dB)
    Path Level
    Interleaved
    "2 telephone lines" you mean 2 wall outlets that wire up from downstairs to upstairs in the same building.

yes that thing it is one line but i have 2 wall outlets one upstairs that with a cable it goes downstairs at the main wall outlet so its one line with 2 wall outlets downstairs and upstairs but its the same line=1

Downloads
    Uploads
    Τύπος
    FTTH
    Ταχύτητα
    1000/100
    ISP
    Cosmote
    DSLAM
    ΟΤΕ - ΔΑΦΝΗ
    That clears things up, thank you.

Sadly no, you cannot use the existing twisted pair (with the two wires) to make it work like an ethernet. The ethernet spec requires atleast 4 wires to work and the "telephone wire" only provides you with two (aka a "Twisted Pair").
    You cannot also use two modems plugged into the telephone line at the same time (you can only plug telephone devices as you might already know).

These are your only options.
    - Throw a cable across the floors, wiring up both the downstairs and upstairs (using an Ethernet cable)
    By using this method you need to plug the one end to the TP-Link downstairs and plug the other end to a switch/access point/router with the DHCP disabled (like i said earlier) and be done with it.

- Buy a pair of powerline adapters
    Here instead of throwing a cable around, you can use the existing wires that carry electricity around your house.
    The speeds that you'll get using these devices highly depend on the quality of the cables/wires in the walls of your home.
    If the building is old, then you might not get the speeds you might expect (you definitelly won't get the advertised speeds on the box as far as i know).

- Setup a wireless bridge on 5 GHz
    This is by far the least recommended way of bridging two endpoints because you'll most likely face walls and the signal attenuates significantly by punching through them. Im not talking about repeaters, i'm talking about wireless bridges that only do that, not provide wifi to you.
    A setup like this would be using two Ubiquiti NanoStation Loco M5s, you set them up acting as a bridge, you make one the "Access Point" and the other one the "Station", you setup the SSID, the encryption, wire up the two ends with ethernet and they transparently pass traffic wirelessly like a wire would.

The options go from the most recommended (top) to the least recommended (bottom).
    In other words, if you can toss a wire between the two floors, you'll be set.

Whatever method you pick, you'll end up with an ethernet cable in you hand. You do want to provide internet to more than one device, right?
    This is where you setup the edgerouter x as a switch (using the Wizard called "Switch") or using the Asus by altering its LAN IP address (so it doesn't conflict with another device in the network) and lastly disabling the DHCP server on it (so only the TP-Link answers the DHCP requests from your devices).

Using the Asus as a "switch" you can also use it as an Access Point. It does have wifi, right? The edgerouter x does not but that's up to you if you want to have wifi upstairs.

Edit: If you actually use the Asus as a switch/access point, hook up the ethernet cable into a LAN port, not into the WAN/Internet.
    Τελευταία επεξεργασία από το μέλος NinjaMiltos : 17-12-17 στις 02:51. Αιτία: Typos

Παρόμοια Θέματα

1. Ote H108NS QoS setup
    Από AustyPOsty στο φόρουμ ADSL
    Τελευταίο Μήνυμα: 06-09-17, 11:58
  2. [Other] setup cd technicolor tg788vn v2
    Από Bernadi7 στο φόρουμ ADSL & Broadband Hardware, routers και modems...
    Τελευταίο Μήνυμα: 01-03-17, 15:34
  3. open dns και μοντεμ setup
    Από netstorm στο φόρουμ Networking
    Τελευταίο Μήνυμα: 13-02-17, 22:42
  4. RasPbx HylaFax - setup
    Από puntomania στο φόρουμ Voice over IP (VoIP) Software
    Τελευταίο Μήνυμα: 12-02-17, 21:57
  5. Δεν ανοίγει το laptop- aptio setup utility
    Από alexlouloud στο φόρουμ Software γενικά
    Τελευταίο Μήνυμα: 07-02-17, 17:45